Saturday, February 13, 2010

Week 5: Bradford County, FL

Land Cover Map

This map focuses primarily on land cover. It also shows main roads and rivers. One issue I had with making this was that the land cover raster file had too many different bins/classes to fit in the ledgend. For this reason I went through and deleted some that were aquatic and wetland oriented since those are seen by vector files present in the map. Still, it may have produced some areas that are not coverd by either. With the land cover data, I am worried that it may appear too busy but I think for all of the data that is on there it is displayed rather clear and simplistic. Also, the shape of the county caused my map to have alot of empty space which isn't exactly great.

Quadrats Map

In this map I used the quads to display the DOQQ, DEM, and DRG files. After having issues finding the DEM (for quads) and the DRG files, I finally found some that worked. One thing I would like to learn how to do is how to clip a raster file using a vector file. Not sure if this is possible, but it would be nice to just have the maps in the county rather than across its border. I also threw in the rivers and roads along with some other layers to add to the map and help in determining position.

2 comments:

  1. You can clip rasters by using the Spatial Analyst extension. Under the spatial analyst toolbox there should be an extraction toolbox (I think). Find the extract by mask tool. The defaults should be fine for you to use unless you have a need to manipulate the raster. Make sure you put it in a location you want and name it what you want. (I always forget to do this - then I end up with a crappy name and a crappy location - but that's me).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mari is correct! For this lab, I really wanted to see the entire quad, so no need to clip. Great job!

    ReplyDelete